Mayoral Candidate Heath Mello and 11 of the 13 candidates for Omaha City Council will attend the OTOC City Candidate Accountability Session on Monday, May 1 at 7 pm at St. Leo the Great Catholic Church (102nd and Blondo). Mayor Jean Stothert declined to attend this non-partisan, issue oriented session.
The only City Council candidates not attending will be Vinny Palermo (Dist 4) who has as OPS School Board meeting on May 1 and college student Grant Sturek (Dist 1).
OTOC will Ask Candidates to support our positions on:
Safe Rental Housing
Yard Waste Recycling
Regulating Pay Day Lending
Omaha Police Policy toward Immigrants & Refugees
Candidates for Mayor
Heath Mello—Attending Jean Stothert—Declined to Attend
City Council Candidates
(All candidates were invited)
Dist. 1—Pete Festersen, attending
Dist. 2—Ben Gray & Dennis Womak, attending
Dist. 3—Chris Jerram & D’Shawn Cunningham, attending
Dist. 4--Jim Rogers, attending
Dist. 5--Rich Pahls, attending
Dist. 6—Brinker Harding & Dwite Pedersen, attending
Dist. 7—Aimee Melton & Brian Thommes, attending
- Assuring that Rental Housing is safe and habitable
- Environmental Sustainability including
- improving our recycling of yard waste
- creating a financing mechanism so homeowners can invest in improving the sustainability of their homes
- Regulating Pay Day Lending including limiting the predatory fees that they can charge in Omaha
- Assuring that Omaha Police don’t become agents of federal immigration enforcement and use community policing with immigrant communities.