Mayoral Candidate Heath Mello and 11 of the 13 candidates for Omaha City Council attended the OTOC City Candidate Accountability Session on Monday, May 1 at 7 pm at St. Leo the Great Catholic Church (102nd and Blondo). Mayor Jean Stothert declined to attend this non-partisan, issue oriented session.
The only City Council candidates not attending were Vinny Palermo (Dist 4) who had an OPS School Board meeting on May 1 and college student Grant Sturek (Dist 1).
OTOC Asked Candidates to support our positions on:
Safe Rental Housing
Yard Waste Recycling
Regulating Pay Day Lending
Omaha Police Policy toward Immigrants & Refugees
- Assuring that Rental Housing is safe and habitable
- Environmental Sustainability including
- improving our recycling of yard waste
- creating a financing mechanism so homeowners can invest in improving the sustainability of their homes
- Regulating Pay Day Lending including limiting the predatory fees that they can charge in Omaha
- Assuring that Omaha Police don’t become agents of federal immigration enforcement and use community policing with immigrant communities.